Hockey Mom, Hockey Dad at the Roxy

Friday night I went to see Hockey Mom, Hockey Dad at the Roxy. I went with AM and my Mom. Overall it was a good show, but there were some problems with it. The problems were primarily with the script. I think it would have been better as a one act and more interesting/realistic if the focus had not been on the "romantic relationship" of the two characters. The program talked a lot about violence in youth sport and its connection to parents encouraging it and I think that was the more interesting issue. I think it could have been explored even if the two hockey parents were friends, not necessarily lovers (were they or weren't they?). The other major problem was the ending. It felt like it just needed to end a scene earlier and the actual end was unclear. I think that was a script thing, too, but it may have been a directing thing. The actors were really good, especially "Donna", but she had the character that 'grew more' so she was given more to work with.

As a playwright, I am really paying attention to how the story was crafted. I think i have always done this, but I am more aware of it now. I remember seeing "Good" at the U of A years ago and laughing where no one else did because the script was so good, even if the actors were not. I can still remember the director asking me if I was sitting in (I was ushering) and looking hopeful because he knew I would laugh at the right places.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!