A Little Sword Play in the Square... A Nice YEG Summer Evening...

Last night we finally made it to the Wednesday Night Light Saber class at Sir Winston Churchill Square.  My good friend Janine has been teaching these classes all summer long on Wednesday nights from 7:00 - 8:30 p.m. I have been meaning to take the boys but various conflicts in my schedule meant that last night was the first time we could make it out.  It was so much fun.  Gibson was really the push for it as I mentioned it to him earlier in the summer and he has been saying "Can we go this week?" and "Is it Wednesday? The Light Saber Day?" a lot over the past few weeks. I was so glad we went.  The class is nicely structured.  They split off the younger kids to do simpler activities (the little ones last about 45 minutes) and then split the people who have been coming a lot over the summer and the 'newbies' so that it's easy to meet the levels. I liked that everyone had to stretch first, then a basic pattern of 'positions' was taught and reviewed. You got the sense that this was not just playing around with Star Wars stuff, but that they were actually learning real sword play moves. I was also pleased with how serious my boys took it.  I know they both have a ways to go in terms of form and structure, but they both approached it like a class and they seemed to work harder.  The force does seem a little stronger in Gibson, however, but Oliver is so close to teenager that the attitude inherent seeped in a bit. After the basic patterns, there was a little routine that they paired up to practice and make better. I loved it when they added the force.  While the newbie practiced, the more experienced group was taught some more challenging moves to add to their routine.  I thought that was a great way to address the multiple needs of the group. We plan to go back, this time with lots of water as I didn't even think about it.  It was a great workout - not just swinging a toy around - they were jumping and lunging and the moves are very precise so both boys were very sweaty at the end.

Nice. Oh, and did I mention, FREE? Another great way to spend a summer evening in YEG!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!