Monday and Tuesday Fringe Show Reflections! Fringe 2024!

So, I am a little late on this... it's a funny story why mostly having to do with my husband locking ALL his keys in his truck (both set for both vehicles that he drives) and then him having to take my van to work while I waited for AMA... It's all good and I am happy to report I made it to the Fringe Site on time for my shows!

On Monday I caught three shows!

Sheep Play - I booked this show because it fit nicely into my schedule and sounded intriguing... Sheep in a post-human world? Okay - let's see what this is! The sheep were hilarious with excellent Scottish accents that sounded very right for the show. There's the best Ukulele song (well sung, well played, and well suited to the piece)! There's also a bit of "What the heck is going on?!?!" but I was laughing (as was most of the audience) so it's all good. I was certainly entertained, even if I was a bit confused at times!

Microwave Coven - I try not to miss the Guys in Disguise shows and this one was a lot of fun, as always! I also took my sister and a mutual friend from high school so it was nice to show off the show to them. They were blown away by how well the 'guys' play women! This one tackles the supernatural/occult and the domestic life of wives in the late 1970s - the keepers of the microwave oven! It was very funny, irreverent, laced with inuendo, and it was fun to see how the roles were attacked! I particularly loved the voice that Trevor Schmidt chose for Carmen and the repeated magical gestures from Jake Tkaczyk!

Marv n' Berry - I know a couple of this sketch comedy group but outside of online videos I had never seen one of their shows! So I thought I would remedy that. I also got to check out the new Rapid Fire Space which, despite donating for the rebuild, I had never gone to! It's gorgeous! Wow! What a great job they have done on that space!! Anyhow, the show was very funny, although I felt a but old because of some of the references I did not understand. But this is clearly a group that knows each other very well and knows how to be funny. There's a quirkiness to the sketches and I really enjoyed that!

Today (Tuesday) I saw two more shows! 

27 Pictures - What a lovely script and it is very well done by this group. A couple on the verge of a break-up revisit their relationship through 27 pictures. Both young actors were very good and they had a terrific chemistry with each other. They created a beautiful and believable timeline of a relationship with ups and downs that made me care! I think these were both Grant Mac students or recent grads and I hope we see more of them on our Edmonton stages in years to come!

Joan & Olivia: A Hollywood Ghost Story - This one
sounded interesting as it featured Joan Fontaine and Olivia de Havilland as ghosts continuing their life long feud into their deaths. This affects two living sisters in the house they are haunting. I thought the 'ghosts' did a great job portraying the dead actresses with their vocal cadences and mannerisms. They are contrasted by the two modern day sisters who aren't very happy with being manipulated. A nice tight show that made me want to read up more on the legendary actresses!


I'm enjoying this Fringe and all the fabulous and varied shows that I am seeing! I hope you all are too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe 2024 - Friday, August 16th - A Terrific Afternoon of Shows!

Sometimes it's hard to be nice... Lessons Learned with Donna Orbits the Moon and Spinsters in #yegtheatre this week...