Fringe Preview: Looking for something a little serious... Here are a few Dramas on the docket that have me interested...

I like a good laugh, a good musical, but I also like a solid drama. Luckily for me, the Fringe has everything! Here's what caught my eye in a more serious vein...

APRICOT STONES
The Description: It's 1980 in Kabul. When Adela is attacked by mujahideen on a trip to the market one day, she is rescued by Azad. The two become fast friends, but soon deeper feelings dance them dangerously close to a fine line that has Adela's devout younger brother questioning her family honour.
Why I want to see it: I've been working with a playwright on a couple of plays about Iran and to support that work I've been reading a lot about that part of the world. I'm thinking this might be another way to access more about it from a different perspective.
Click here for tickets.

CALL MR. ROBESON
The Description: A rollercoaster journey through African-American actor and singer Paul Robeson's remarkable life, highlighting his pioneering and heroic political activism. Features Ol' Man River and other famous songs, much fiery oratory, and a defiant testimony to the House Un-American Activities Committee. "First rate." (4 stars) The Guardian
Why I want to see it: I love finding out more about real people and periods of history through theatre. I've also always been fascinated by the McCarthy era politics (thanks to an American History course I took over 25 years ago), and this description intrigues me...
Click here for tickets.

JAKE'S GIFT
The Description: Jake's Gift is back to celebrate 10 years since it first played at the Edmonton Fringe Festival in August 2008! This surprisingly funny drama tells the moving story of a Canadian WW2 veteran's reluctant return to Juno Beach to find the grave of the brother who never came home.
Why I recommend it: I have actually seen this show before and if you haven't, you probably should. Bring tissues.
Click here for tickets.



CONTRACTIONS
The Description: The company you work for is terrifying. Your sex life is a matter for the HR department. To what extreme would you go to keep your job? The lasses who brought you the Fringe hit The Superhero Who Loved Me are back with a horribly plausible tale of workplace fear.
Why I want to see it: April Banigan and Kristi Hansen. I love seeing both of them onstage, so together feels like a real bonus!
Click here for tickets.



Stay posted for more! I'm personally wishing I had more time to see more shows!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!