Sunday, August 16, 2026

Sunday, August 16, 2026 - Fringe Unforgettable

So, as is tradition I’m spending my wedding anniversary at Fringe… ha ha ha… my husband is working so if he’d had the day off we might have done something but really we will celebrate the “big” anniversary (30 Years!!!!!!) next week when we both have the time! It’s certainly the first anniversary I’ve been fringing…

My day started with Hereafter at Acacia. It was not what I expected. I’m still not sure what it was trying to say. The plain language description says it’s a solo clown show about a gravedigger during the black plague. The program  description alludes to Hamlet’s gravedigger, so I think I was expecting more Shakespeare. Anyhow, it you like things that are a bit absurd and out of left field, you may really like this. Much of the audience was laughing for a great deal of it. There’s song (about the plague!) with some audience participation, there’s juggling (skulls?), there’s a lot of talk of death and purpose, there's even a conversation with God. The gravedigger (played by Evelyn Gray, also the playwright) is charming, engaging and committed. I just am not sure what it all meant…


Next I caught
Alex and Michael and Hannah written and directed by Heather Morrow at the Gateway Theatre. Ostensibly about a polyamorous trio and how that complicates Hannah’s life and shifts her ideas about her own attractiveness and what she needs to be happy in her life, it is complicated by the expectations and judgement of her (somewhat estranged and very toxic) family. There’s an interesting juxtaposition of the trio's relationship with her sister's more traditional one, with the non-traditional relationship feeling like the more healthy situation. There’s also a lot of evidence of a very unhealthy extended family for Hannah (Melinda Jordan) who engages in fat-shaming and constant belittling. It’s not hard to see why Hannah chooses the loving support of Alex (Kingsley Leung) and Michael (Doran Werner) over her manipulative and judgemental family. I would have like a little more complication with the establishment of the relationship - it did feel remarkably easy and I can't imagine that there wouldn't have been more discussion and, to some degree, insecurity about it, especially considering Hannah's background. However, I lack any experience in this kind of situation, so maybe it really is that simple - ask and see what happens!

The day at Fringe ended early for me today as I’m heading to Trivia for a more informal celebration of the Anniversary! Happy Fringing! 


No comments:

Word of Mouth - Sunday, August 16th, 2026

Some of today's  Word of Mouth recommendations came from my eavesdropping on conversations around me in lines... but that makes me beli...