Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Ontario Theatre Journey - Something Rotten! What a show!

Photo by: David Hou
As I mentioned in yesterday's post, a big factor for me planning this trip was to see the Stratford Festival production of Something Rotten! which I had been unable to see in 2024. It certainly held up to the promise as it was fantastic! I mean, this is a show for me - Shakespeare, and a musical, but also a musical about musicals which is chock full of references and jokes about Shakespeare and musicals! I was in audience heaven. It wasn't just the show though, this production is outstanding. Director and Choreographer Donna Feore has done an incredible job with this piece and her top-notch cast and creative team has risen to the challenge to do what she has asked of them. I have seen many, many excellent musical theatre productions over the years (and, yes, I direct them myself) and I think this was one of the best I have ever seen. 

As mentioned, the cast is outstanding. Mark Uhre (Nick Bottom) and Henry Firmston (Nigel Bottom) play off each other wonderfully as the brothers competing with the superstar playwright Shakespeare (played hilariously by Jeff Lillico). I had seen Uhre before in 2015 in Sweet Charity at the Shaw Festival and he was one of my favourites onstage in that show. He doesn't disappoint in this show, either! Firmston is a wonderful constrast to him, and has a gorgeous voice. Starr Domingue is so funny as Bea Bottom, Nick's beleaguered wife, and a woman of a thousand faces (and beards and voices). I've been singing her song, Right Hand Man, in my head a lot since seeing the show. Olivia Sinclair-Brisbane plays Portia, the new love interest for younger brother Nigel. Her voice is so lovely, and I loved her snickering at her father, Brother Jeremiah (Juan Chioran - known to Edmonton audiences for his villainous turn as Mr. Hart in the Citadel's 9 to 5 a few seasons ago). I could probably go on an on about every cast member because they were all so good - the voices, the acting, and OOOOH the dancing! 

The dancing! A standing ovation stopped the show for a little bit after Make an Omelette. It's such  good number and they pulled out all the stops. The references in this one - seeing Nostradamus (Dan Chameroy) as both the Phantom and Frank n' Furter is something I will never forget. But seriously - how many musical references can you fit in one number AND have it make sense AND have it be so funny AND be performed/danced so well. 

Suffice it to say, I left the theatre wanting to see the show again immediately. Much appreciation to my sister who did get to see the show in 2024 but came along with me this time too! She said she was glad she did and quizzed me on the many musical theatre references she missed but knew were there because I was laughing! 

Next show was Guys and Dolls! It was also amazing! I will write about that in my next post! I have to get these done before the Fringe starts!


No comments:

Ontario Theatre Journey - Something Rotten! What a show!

Photo by: David Hou As I mentioned in yesterday's post, a big factor for me planning this trip was to see the Stratford Festival product...