I've seen 17 Shows so far... And we aren't even Halfway done! Woot!

So, I have seen 17 shows so far, I have at least 11 more to see and I might increase that if I have the stamina! Here's just a few quick reactions to some of the shows that I've seen so far:

Jesus Teaches Us Things - Hilarious! This is the most fun you will ever have at a Sunday School class taught by none-other-than Jesus! We may have strayed from the official curriculum a bit, but boy was it fun! Lots of great songs, audience participation (low risk and totally up to you), jokes that are hilarious but not hateful! Can't go wrong with that! 

The Big Sad - A really well crafted children's show for the wee ones (I'm thinking 4-8 years - 3 if your child is particularly verbal). It's about grief, but actually a lot of fun. The company also does brilliant work teaching the audience how to interact with the participation elements before the 'show' starts so that everyone can have a good time and participate appropriately if they feel comfortable. 

Hunchback Variations - Definitely one for the 'theatre people' like me! It's absurd, funny, smart and performed by two excellent actors. I had a great discussion about it with my son when I got home. Does it help if you've read or seen The Cherry Orchard, I'm not sure? Maybe it will make you want to read it... 

Plays by Bots - Every show is different. The Rapid Fire Theatre folks start each show with a brand new sight-unseen script written by an A.I. called Dramatron, who is a playwright with a very distinctive and hilarious voice and these improvisors go big with the choices presented. Partway through the script runs out and they improvise an ending. I was laughing so hard! I'm hoping to go back to see another show!

Ride the Cyclone - (Note: this is one of my favourite musicals so I know I am biased) A funny and dark little musical about members of a school choir who die on a roller coaster and have to pleased their case for a second chance. I love the show (saw it twice when it was at the Citadel) and this production was so well done! Perfectly cast! The voices and the acting and the dancing - simply awesome! I'd love to catch this one again too! It's also not really for little kids... and I like that about it! 


Destination Vegas
- I saw Destination Wedding last year and loved the script concept and the  storytelling by three terrific actors. The same team (playwright and cast) goes to Vegas this year and things again get a little wild! Lots of laughs with the cast playing totally different characters in a new situation with even more at risk. How will it end?!?!? 

The Dreamer's Cantata - A truly lovely concert of works you likely haven't heard before set around the theme of dreamers and dreams. It's very polished and sharp and all four of the artists on stage are terrific! I only wish I had a program so I could find some of the those songs again! I might be emailing the director to get some song titles and composer names! 

Now I'm off for 3 more shows today! Happy Fringing!


You can purchase tickets to Fringe shows HERE. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!