Gearing up for Hawksley and Clybourne!

It's very busy at work right now.  I know, I know, there's a recent rejection of the word busy, but I work in a place where the pace goes up and down depending on what is on the go and right now we are busy.  A big part of my job is putting together the Playbills for each of the main stage shows and about 2-3 weeks out is when those tasks heat up.  We have two shows opening up in the next 4 weeks so I am both proofing and collecting right now, in addition to coordinating Opening Night Invitations for the first one, Clybourne Park, which opens on January 30th.  The second one, Do You Want What I Have Got? A Craigslist Cantata opens on February 5th. So yeah, it's.... busy...

However, that's not even the next show in the building.  In our Beyond the Stage Series we have Hawksley Workman and The God That Comes opening tomorrow night.  I'm really excited for this show.  It won a couple of Betty Awards last season (Calgary's Sterlings) and made top ten theatre lists in Toronto and Vancouver.  I have never seen Hawksley Workman before but have friends (whose opinion I trust) who are die-hard fans so it all adds up.  Back in August, when I heard this show was coming I bought a VIP table right away and now I am so very glad I did.  With the way the tickets have been selling I would have been paying a lot more for not as great seats and no bottle of wine and CDs (there are a few nights with VIP Tables left... I highly recommend - they are the best seats in the house and you get the aforementioned wine and CDs).  Anyhow, I will have to do some waiting because I clearly wasn't thinking in August when I bought the tickets... for Closing Night... I might have to go earlier and see this one twice... hmmm...

After that it will Clybourne Park and Craigslist. This is clearly a great January for me.  All three of these shows really appeal to me.  They are current, edgy and very different.  Clybourne's read through was hysterical and the way it attacks the politics of speech and political correctness and assumptions about race and culture is brilliant.  I am excited to see it with all the bells and whistles.

In any case, I expect a few weeks of long days and then a very brief breath until I get to work on Mary Poppins!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!