Women continue to make less...

The other day was International Women's Day but statistics released indicated that women still make significantly less than their male counterparts. I am happy to say that although the jobs I get people to do are not compensated financially, I still look for the best person for the job regardless of their being male or female. This season, 4/7 of my Directors were female. I didn't really think about that when I was getting people in place. I am happy that it was more about the right person for the job. Next season, I have 5/6 being female. I am waiting to hear back on one position. I think it speaks to the fact that the best person for the job is not necessarily female or male. If you look at the submissions, the submitters were over-whelming female. The first season I think there were only 5 male submitters out of around 20 so that certainly impacted the selection.

I don't know if it happens as often in the paying theatre. Sure there is Marianne Copithorne, but I don't know a lot of other female directors who are directing for the semi-professional and professional theatres. I think Amanda Bergen is directing something in a semi-pro setting, but you don't really hear a lot about female directors.

A few month ago there was an article about female playwrights in the APN newsletter. I looked at a lot of things and still I only have one script in next season written by a woman. I hope to help change the availability of female written scripts! I think it is important. When we hold auditions the women outnumber men at a minimum of 3 to 1. The women outnumber men in the audiences. And yet, I hear disparagement of women's stories or stories with a woman as central figure. People write off 'chick-flicks' and 'kitchen sink dramas' (frequently with women as central figures) as less than the more glamorous male story arcs. Those stories are just as valuable and as important as stories about princes, businessmen, and soldiers and to imply that they aren't is a disservice to women.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!