Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Tuesday, August 18th, 2026 - Fringe Unforgettable!

This Fringe day was brought to you by laughter as I took in a solo improv show and a sketch comedy show. The Improv show was SOLOVELA, AN IMPROVISED SOLO TELENOVELA which was exactly what it sounds like in the title! Diane Jorje (amusingly annoyed by having to be up so early to do a 12:15 pm show) interviewed two audience members about their lives, which she then crafts into an improvised telenovela. She has a rack of costume pieces to help delineate the many characters she plays, switching back and forth with ease and often extra-comic results when there are more than two people in the scene. The story has romance, villain's and helpful friends and the situation depends on the prompts from the audience. Jorje is a gifted improvisor and a charming and engaging performer who clearly owns the stage. I was also impressed with her follow-up with the audience members she interviewed to make sure that they felt okay about the "made-up story" she created from their provided details. They were sitting right behind me and from their laugher, I am pretty sure they were. 

Then I caught Sketchy Broads presents: Resting Bitumen Face which is an all-women (broads) sketch comedy troupe made up of some of Edmonton's best comedians and improvisors (Jules Balluffi, Jennie Emms, Lindsey Walker, Kristen J Welker, and Nikki Hulowski). The show was very funny with sketches ranging from the political to the raunchy. The title suggests some content will deal with oil, and it does. A few highlights include a parody of the Cell Block Tango from Chicago, a lesson in Art History, a tour of a sauna complete with a towel dance, and a very strange real estate home viewing. They wisely save the messiest scene for last! These broads are not afraid to go for the big joke and despite approaching some topics from a woman's perspective, there is nothing dainty or timid about their humour. Lots of big laughs and, from what I understand, Sold Out shows! Catch them quick! 

Happy Fringing everyone! See you on the Fringe Grounds!

No comments:

Tuesday, August 18th, 2026 - Fringe Unforgettable!

This Fringe day was brought to you by laughter as I took in a solo improv show and a sketch comedy show. The Improv show was SOLOVELA, AN IM...