A couple of years ago, something happened that prevented my taking a trip to New York. I call it The Great Pause. Then a few years later things changed globally that made me want to stick to Canada for awhile, and actually made me wanted to support the artistic work we were doing in Canada first and foremost. I had been doing a lot of that already with the blog, definitely trying to support local Edmonton theatre artists, but when I was thinking about what I wanted to do this summer, I decided that instead of a trip to New York for Broadway, I would head to Ontario for some Toronto, Stratford and Shaw! I also really wanted to see the Stratford Festival's Something Rotten and had been unable to go in 2024 due to a family trip but now it was back! Huzzah!
 |
| Photo Credit: Dahlia Katz |
Anyhow, my first stop was Toronto where I took in one of the final performances of the Mirvish production of
& Juliet! My sister had seen the show previously (twice because she loved it so much!) and she highly recommended it. I knew little beyond the premise and that the music was going to be highly recognizable (much in the way of
Mamma Mia!). I had an absolute blast! The show is so much fun and I am a bit of a Shakespeare fan so I was totally in there for anything referential and there was quite a bit. I did not know beforehand but apparently the cast was all-Canadian and this show definitely speaks to the talent we have in Canada! Leading the cast as Juliet was Vanessa Sears. She was just incredible. She blew me out of the water every time she sang, but she was also a fine actor - able to be both funny and serious - and a terrific dancer. I was also delightfully surprised to see George Krissa as Shakespeare. I was working at the Citadel in Edmonton when he played the Sterling Award-winning role of Tony in West Side Story, and he was so good then and such a nice person! In this show he is so funny and I just loved hearing him sing again! The whole cast is terrific, but I wanted to shout out Julia McLellan as Anne (Shakespeare's wife) who gets the whole show running and keeps it on track. Amazing voice and what a fabulous and gorgeous comedian! The production is so perfect - from the costumes, to the set, to the music and the choreography. What a fun ride and the perfect way to kick off my Ontario Theatre Journey!
The show is closed now, but I encourage you to see it if it comes your way in a tour. You WILL want to sing a long because you will know all the songs. I think you will enjoy the twists and turns and also the fact the book was clearly written for today's audiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment