Saturday, August 15, 2026

Saturday, August 15, 2026 - Fringe Unforgettable!

I caught two shows today and enjoyed a nice lunch with a friend who joined me for the first. Not only do I love Fringe for the shows, but I also enjoy seeing friends! It is definitely the time when I feel a part of the larger Edmonton artistic community. I think I have run into about 30 people that I know and love so far at Fringe, and that's a terrific perk to the festival! 

First up was Chase Padgett: The Next Guy. I have to say, that when I've done my Word of Mouth conversations, Chase Padgett is the name that comes up the most often. Most Fringes his shows appear on more than one day and usually it's been recommended by multiple people at different times throughout the day. So, I figured that this was the Fringe I should probably check out one of his shows. It did not disappoint! Padgett is a gifted story-teller and guitarist. He's funny, engaging and real. He told a story about dealing with the grief of his divorce and the path his life took afterwards. It's a path with mistakes and wrong turns and red flags that he ignores to his detriment but (fortunately) he overcomes these and survives. Woven into the story are songs that are sometimes touching, but usually very funny, and which demonstrate his excellent skills as a guitarist, songwriter and vocalist. Very enjoyable and I highly recommend, along with all the folks who have recommended his shows to me in the past! 

After my lunch at The Next Act with my friend, I took in the Guys in Disguise show, Go West, Young Man. Inspired by the true story of Canadian Drag Legend Craig Russell (Zachary Parsons-Lozinski) who showed up at Mae West's home in 1963 with a suitcase full of fan mail from Canada and is hired as her personal secretary. He uses the job as an opportunity to study her. It's very silly, and most funny when Andrea House takes the stage as the legendary Mae West. House is such a natural impressionist and comedienne and this role is firmly in her wheelhouse. There's a monkey (yes! played by the excellent mover Ainsley Hillyard) and a very well-muscled boyfriend (Paul Novak played by David McNally) that both Mae and Russell are attracted to. Mae eventually figures out that what Russell needs are a few lessons and the show culminates with her sending him on his way to be true to himself, something he's been unable to be before their encounter.  Like most biographical plays, I spent a little time afterwards reading up on Mae West and Craig Russell. 

It was a shorter day today. I currently have two shows booked for tomorrow, but have a few ideas for a third to squeeze into the mix! Happy Fringing Everyone!

No comments:

Saturday, August 15, 2026 - Fringe Unforgettable!

I caught two shows today and enjoyed a nice lunch with a friend who joined me for the first. Not only do I love Fringe for the shows, but I ...