More Daniel MacIvor for a Certified Fan - In On It at Theatre Network!

I caught Opening Night of In On It at Theatre Network on Thursday night.  I am a true MacIvor fan so this is written with prejudice.  I really, really, really, really liked this play and production.  A deftly written and well-performed two hander, directed by Bradley Moss and starring Frank Zotter and Nathan Cuckow, it was full on laughs and little magic moments and sadness.  As a playwright, I came away with so many ideas about how to put together a narrative which features many more than two characters but is performed by only two.  As a director, I saw possibility for shifting staging out of realism using lighting and sound and only 2 chairs in a simple black box. I was impressed by it's fluidity and it's humour and the way these two guys switched from character to character, from now to 'the play', to the past, to the present.  It wasn't easy to follow all the time.  I don't think it's supposed to be.  You get the information in non-sequential bits and pieces, so you have to put it together.  My friend who was with me said that she sometimes had trouble figuring out where and when and who they were, however, based on her follow-up statement, I don't think that's a bad thing, because she said she wanted to go see it again to figure it out.  She wanted to be 'in on it' from the beginning.  Can't be a bad thing if you want to go see it again, can it?

By the way, the theatre was absolutely packed - I would suggest getting your tickets earlier rather than later.  It's one to see!

* In On It marks #20 in my 2012 theatre goal - halfway there and it's only May!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!