Preparing for Fringe #42 - life, the universe and everything...

My husband joked that I looked like a college student studying for an exam as he watched me working through the Fringe Program, applying post-it notes, and marking shows with stars and circles, filling out possibilities for each separate day of the festival on a separate post-it. Hey! It's serious business for me! There are so many shows I want to see and only so much time. Sometimes it's the jigsaw puzzle that makes it possible for me to see your show... sometimes the puzzle means I can't. But I will see at least 22 shows this year and likely a few more as I have 3 days at the end left blank for 'shows with buzz' and fingers crossed that they don't all Sell-Out before I am able to purchase!

First things first - you can find out all things Fringe here: https://www.fringetheatre.ca/  - so if you're new to this adventure there's many helpful tips available to help you navigate AND that's where you can buy tickets!

If you know that you might see 10 shows (or 5 with a friend) I encourage you to purchase a Frequent Fringer Pass. It's the best deal. I buy a Double Fringer Pass because I know I will see more than 20 (in all likelihood). There are occasionally deals (pump up the volume tickets and half-price day of tickets), but those are unpredictable, so you can't depend on them. 

Anyhow, what musicals am I seeing? 

I will be seeing quite a few musicals as I enjoy those and I especially like new musicals. The ones at Fringe tend towards weird, and I like that. I will be taking in Krampus (because I love everything I've seen Straightedge Theatre do, and... Krampus!!); Edgar Perry (Recommended to me by a friend I trust who has seen other shows by this company); Scoobie Doosical (by the uber talented Rebecca Merkley!); Morningside Road (I've heard a lot of buzz about this one so I am checking it out); The Noteworthy Life of Howard Barnes (a new musical about someone who discovers themselves IN a musical - yes, please!); and The Marvelous Wonderettes - Caps and Gowns! (I've never been able to make it to one of their shows before but I've heard good things and I think it will be reminiscent of Shout!). 


There's also Amor de Cosmos: A Delusional Musical (the talented Lindsay Walker and Cody Porter! How can you go wrong?!? plus it got great reviews at the Toronto Fringe!); Undiscovered Country (Chris Bullough - who we do NOT see enough of on Edmonton Stages!! - you can bet I am checking this out!); and Lizard Boy: The Musical (Another new musical that sounds weird - right up my alley - plus some fabulous people involved!). 

So... it would appear almost half my tickets will be for musicals this year - and there isn't even a SATCO show! I'll post tomorrow talking about my non-musical choices and a few others that I hope to squeeze in if time allows! 

Remember, if you see me on the Fringe Grounds, feel free to share with me your "Word of Mouth" recommendations! I can't possibly see all the shows but I love hearing what you recommend and sharing those titles with everyone!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!