Writing about writing

Well, today I meet with Marsha Amanova, the director of my One Act Play, Pieces. This will be our first meeting with regards to the play and we will be talking about auditions and roles in the rehearsal process. I plan to be "the playwright", not "the director", because I want to see if the script will work in someone else's hands. It will no doubt be hard for me since I have directed quite a bit before. I am excited about the meeting as it is one more step in the process and what is a play if it is not on the stage?

I think the fact of the meeting has spurred me on to work on some of my other projects. I spent the morning collating the material I have for "Cassandra Now" and "Natural Born Mother/MotherLoad". I think that I can work with both scripts and I need to establish a deadline for myself for completing a first draft of either. Last year I said I would have an entry for the APN competition so that means I have less than three months to get it together. I really want to write a full length play and I really want to develop these ideas. I need to focus, but it is hard. I really just need to commit to writing because I find that if I do it and get the words out, then editing comes after and I can take out the crap then. I don't really block, but I have a hard time getting started.

As Steven King says, you have to use your toolbox. I need a good wrench or a hammer and then I will be on my way. I know the ideas are good, it is just getting the stuff out there!

Comments

Magnolia said…
Sounds very exciting! M'Lynn, you always amaze me with how many balls you can keep in the air!
Kate Mc said…
Hey, I know Marsha! She's awesome! Tell her Kate from English 100 and Orientation says hi!

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!