Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Monday, August 17, 2026 - Fringe Unforgettable

Only two shows again today. I looked but the window I had was awkward and the only things in walking distance that fit were either Sold Out (so many Sold Out shows - great for artists! Yay!) or I had already bought a ticket for on another day.  But pacing myself this year isn't a bad thing as I am lower energy than usual AND it had the added benefit of some terrific conversations with friends I saw on the street! 

I started with the adorable In My Room at Grindstone. Starring Eli Yaschuk and Rain Matkin from last year's amazing Victor and Victoria's Terrifying Tale of Terrible Things, with Music Direction by Elaine Dunbar. Eli and Rain have such incredible chemistry with each other and it shines through in this show. Eli, for some reason, cannot seem to leave his room and Rain is his personal assistant, helping him get through whatever he's going through. The care of Eli involves singing songs and choreography and tucking him in and crafts! It's clear that Rain and in-room accompanist Elaine, really want Eli to leave the room. This show works because they are all committed to the bit, and the two of them are lovely singers, and they've built solid show with a beginning, middle and satisfying end. I really enjoyed it! 

Then I took in Being Norwegian, presented by Orange Cat productions. I was so glad to see a play! There seems to be a dearth of plays this year and those are my favourite! This one is directed by Amy DeFelice and stars Clarice Eckford and Cody Porter. It's a combination of artists that has worked well int he past and continues to do so in this piece. It's very solid and Porter and Eckford play off each other well. Playing two strangers who've met at a bar and come back to Sean's box-filled apartment, it's dark and funny as they each navigate the others presence. We learn that Sean has not unpacked although he's been in the apartment for a year and that he's estranged from his ex-wife and son. We learn that Lisa is Norwegian despite all other appearances to the contrary. Her Norwegian-ness becomes a gateway for their moving forward. Porter and Eckford each have a clear idea of their character and although we do not find out everything about their pasts it is obvious they know their own stories. I really enjoyed Porter's awkwardness as Sean, and this contrasted nicely with the lightness and adventurousness of Eckford's Lisa. It's a terrific little show and it comes to a very satisfying conclusion. 

All in all a good day! Happy Fringing everyone! 

No comments:

Monday, August 17, 2026 - Fringe Unforgettable

Only two shows again today. I looked but the window I had was awkward and the only things in walking distance that fit were either Sold Out ...