Yesterday at lunch...

One of the actors was telling a story. Apparently a friend of hers is in a theatre company in Germany and his mother went over to see the production and while there the company paid for all of the mother's meals. She felt that this was a reflection of how arts was valued in Germany as opposed to Canada. I'm not sure that's exactly what it means. Hmmmm. I'm thinking on this. I am torn about the whole thing. I personally think there is a lot of accessible art in my life. There is a range of cost for this from FREE (my APN play reading) to EXPENSIVE (The Citadel, Justin Timberlake) but there is always something to do. I find Edmonton to be an Arts Mecca. If I didn't have other conflicts I could probably go to 3-4 arts related events a week.

I know. I do not live the life of the "artist". I am lucky to do the work I do and not have to worry about it being my source of income. I can't imagine living contract to contract and auditioning and hoping for the job because who knows what else will come down the road. I have always thought of Acting as a type of "Lottery" career. It is the same way I think of Hockey Players. Very few will make the "big bucks". Some of it is talent dependent. You need to have the minimum required skills and talents, but some is luck. Some is just being in the right place at the right time. So the average working artist just gets by. They are not rich in money, but perhaps they quality of their lives is enriched by doing what they love. I don't know. Why would you keep doing it otherwise?

I am still thinking about this. I am likely to keep thinking about it for a long time. I was just so thrilled to get money for rehearsing my play. It was something I would have done for free because I got enough of a thrill from just being there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!