A Visit to the Past

Last night I went and watched the Alberta Regional CIG finals at Eastglen High School. I went to cheer on the Westwood Team, as well as to watch the improv as a whole. I also figured that I would see several students from the past - which I did. It was a good night of Improv. Westwood did not win, they placed second, but they played very well. I still find it hard to watch CIG without thinking like a coach and analyzing all the scenes. I think that is why I prefer watching Theatre Sports now, because there is less structure and fewer rules so I don't sit and think about story, and character, and using the suggestion and all that. I did let some of the analysis go, so I got laughs out of the evening. I think that the kids should feel good because they entertained well and I know from experience how hard it is to come second (particularly when you are used to winning). I heard from one of the adjudicators that the team (WIT) was taking it really well and genuinely seemed happy for Harry Ainlay. I hope so because they deserve to feel good about a great night of entertainment.

It was good to see the kids from the past. They made me feel good, because they seemed happy to see me too. That's always nice for a teacher. They make me remember the GREAT THINGS about my teaching career and then I think a little less about the crappy things that went on in those last few years. I always felt bad at the end, because at the time it was so hard to watch WIT play back then. It was all wrapped up with feeling betrayed and bullied. I shall have to go and watch Theatre Sports and Chimprov (if I can stay up late enough) so that I can watch them as mature (?) adults, and separate their improv from the whole high school memory stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!