Friday, August 14, 2026

Friday, August 14, 2026 - Fringe Unforgettable!

Caught my first three shows of the Fringe today. Overall it was a great afternoon of a mix of shows!

First up was with Queens of Romance from 100% More Girls. I always enjoy their shows as they are usually very funny, with double entendre both accidental and deliberate, and their characters are varied. They also usually have some 'real' moments that make it more than just a funny play. This year's show was a panel of Romance writers who each come from a different generation and perspective on what a romance novel should be. With allusions to Barbara Cartland (Jason Hardwick), the grand dame of romance novels, and Jackie Collins (Michelle Todd), the racier writer of the 70s and into the 2000s, and then a much more modern (spicier?) romance writer of the Fifty Shades of Grey era (Jake Tkaczyk). It was as much a comparison of eras of feminism as styles of romance novels and the discussion gets heated between the three novelists, and it's left to the last minute fill-in host (Trevor Schmidt) to referee. There's much to reflect on with regards to what readers get from romance novels. I've read my share (during junior high I likely read about 500 harlequin romances). I think that those of us who do read modern romances each have their preferred level of spice, and it varies, and preferred number of supernatural creatures, hockey players and farm hands. I loved the host's obvious love for all the different romances and her reflection on what they meant for her. I read a lot of books, not just romances, but it also made me think about why reading was so important to me and why I wanted different things from different books. Oh! And I also laughed A LOT! 

Next I saw Fetch by Cat Walsh, directed by Steven Sobolewski, and starring Shyanne Duquette and Abby Krushel. I will go to anything by Cat Walsh as she is such a gifted playwright Her plays always surprise and engage me and they're a little weird, and I like that. I saw this in 2018 and enjoyed it then (but I see so many shows I had forgotten - it was nice to be re-surprised). A play about two possible girls names Hannah Morgan and we do not know which is the real story. I love that this play doesn't answer the questions that it poses and that it lets the audience do the work on trying to figure out what is true, or if both stories told are true. It's fascinating and there's terrific story-telling from both actors sharing the stage, who while similar are also different due to their diverging lives. It's a small space and they have found ways to make that intimacy benefit the audience with low-stakes interactions. It is a small space and this house was pretty full, so this might be one to grab tickets for early, rather than later. 

I wrapped up the after noon with Rodgers and Hammerstein's ROBOCOP: The Musical. This was an ambitious show that was very good and has the potential be awesome. Some costume quick change mishaps and mic issues happened, but this was their first show and I imagine they will get those sorted out. As someone who has been through the paces of producing a musical at Fringe I know that it just gets better as the festival progresses. It was clear there were some in the audience for the Robocop references and some for the Rodgers and Hammerstein references. I was there for both! I couldn't believe the deep cuts that they grabbed from the Rodgers and Hammerstein music book. There were parodied songs, dances, and scenes from Oklahoma, The Sound of Music, South Pacific, Carousel, and The King and I. There might have been more. This might be the only time people actually want to see a dream ballet - hilarious! I love how this company just goes for it and embraces the style. That's the only way a show like this works and they all commit 100%. Stand-outs were Andrew Boyd as Murphy, Sarah Kyle as Lewis, and Jason Hardwick as Chief Mother Superior. Now, it's already SOLD OUT for the whole Fringe, but maybe they will be held-over? It would be worth it, so stay posted and cross your fingers. 

No comments:

Word of Mouth - Friday, August 14, 2026

As always I will doing my Word of Mouth updates - I chat with folks in line up and ask them what they saw that they would recommend. They d...