Great Music & Theatre from U of A and Grant MacEwan U...

Photo Credit: Lindsey Tran,
@understudystudio_
I ticked off one of my bucket list shows this past week! I'm a self-avowed Sondheim lover and thanks to Grant MacEwan University's production of Sunday in the Park with George, I finally got to see a show that has long been on my list. I'm so glad I caught it (it closes today so you might not be able to if you are just reading this now). The music is very-Sondheim and I caught bits that reminded me of Into the Woods and Company, and it is not easy, but this cast did it very well. Lead by Eli Yaschuk as George (George Seurat, the French painter) and Rain Matkin as Dot (his fictionalized model and lover), the young cast of students in the BFA program deliver the show with commitment, enthusiasm and skill. Yaschuk and Matkin are both terrific, anchoring the show musically and emotionally. I hope we see more of them on our city's stages in year to come. And the entire cast delivered my favourite song, Sunday, beautifully.

Photo Credit: Lindsey Tran, @understudystudio_

It's interesting how forward thinking the show was. It seemed like it was meant for this modern age of projections. The lighting, set, costume, and projection designers (Travis Hatt, Ross Nichol, Deanna Finnman, Matt Shuurman) did a phenomenal job of bringing the art to life. After seeing the show I went and rewatched the Tony performance from the original production, which had wowed me at the time I first saw it, and was struck by how much more active projections add to the piece. 

I hope to catch a few more of the MacEwan University shows in the future. We are blessed with so much theatre in Edmonton, we sometimes forget that MacEwan and U of A both have incredible programs offering terrific shows with the future of Edmonton theatre on their stages. 

Speaking of U of A, I also caught a wonderful musical performance by the University of Alberta Music Department featuring their Concert Band and Symphonic Wind Ensemble. The performance was called The Old Sod, and was presented on St. Patrick's Day at the Winspear. It also featured dancers from the Edmonton Ceilidh Dance Academy. It was a terrific way to spend St. Patrick's Day and enjoy some wonderful pieces of music. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!