Very Late to the Dr. Who/Torchwood Party... But having a good time...

I am not exactly sure why I never got into Doctor Who when younger.  Maybe it was because when the series reboot happened I was up to my elbows in diapers and play-school and lego and it wasn't on the radar of the other people I was hanging around with.  Plus I moved in 2005 and got myself so involved in theatre in Edmonton that it just didn't happen for me.  The old series wasn't really accessible when I was waaaaay younger... so anyways... I have a lot of friends who I can tell are really into Doctor Who.  Some of them recommended Sherlock to me a few months back and I loved that series and I thought I would see what the big deal was.  Maybe I'd like it, maybe not, but it didn't hurt to check it out.  So I bought Series One with the Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) and Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) and dug in, and I discovered that I liked it.  Of course nowadays I watch TV with my iPad in hand, looking up things on the net and when Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman) came of the scene I looked him up and discovered Torchwood, which I had never, ever heard of before. So, when I went to Best Buy to try and find Series Two of Doctor Who (which I didn't find) I also saw Torchwood, the Complete Series and I bought that, and I bought that instead.  I have been watching it, periodically with my 12 year old, and I really, really, really like it.  I think I like it better than I liked the Doctor Who series (but I do still want to watch the rest of it, after all we are just getting to the tenth Doctor - David Tennant).  What has been particularly interesting is the discussions with my 12 year old about the various relationships presented in the show.  It's nice to have the context for some of the conversations about human sexuality. Anyhow, it has been nice to finally know a little about what all my Doctor Who Fan Friends are talking about, even though I know I have a lot of catching up to do. Also, I know what the TARDIS is now... that's a relief.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!