Prepare for the Onslaught of Boydom

Only 1 more school day until the Christmas holidays officially begin and I find myself 'dealing with both boys' for 2 weeks. Luckily Mark is closing the store for 2 consecutive 3 day weekends. That will help. No doubt he will want to travel on one of them, but nothing has been mentioned, so I am hoping for real down time. Funny thing about holidays. For me they are often much more work than everyday. Some people get to rest, but they don't think about the other people who are facilitating their rest. Ah well, there are many things I like about the holidays and I shall cling to them and deal with the other stuff when it happens. Any way you slice it, I am one of the lucky ones on the planet (http://www.100people.org/statistics_detailed_statistics.php) so a little imposition in a time of extreme plenty should not be drama-worthy.

I have held off on the tree and I am hoping I can keep it at bay until Monday so that it can be our 'activity' for that day. I plan to get a pre-cut, but not assembled, gingerbread house for construction on Tuesday. Today we started some of the tree decoration crafts I picked up at Michael's the other day. Gibson (with my help) made 3 and I made 1. There are 24 in the box so we can make a few more over the next few days. Although the Wii and DS can entertain to a certain extent, I am hoping for warmer weather so that frolics in the out of doors are possible to augment the crafting. This is only for the first week. The week after Christmas is usually okay because of the discovery of the new toys.

I will be doing the Christmas meal as per usual and I have to get my turkey and all the other required stuff tomorrow (at least the stuff that will keep). The rest I will pick up during the week prior. Mom and Dad will be hosting Christmas Eve (oyster stew) and I need to sort out everything to make sure I have all the required gifts for that. I have cookies made so that's good. I need to get Mom and Dad presents and a couple of thing for my nieces and nephews. It's a lot, but I should be able to get it done.

Comments

Janine said…
We should have a play date!

You know, you kinda sound like a home educating Mom during the holidays. :P
Finster said…
I would not survive without 'activities' to change their focus. I have extrememly high energy and busy kids - both very different in their likes and dislikes. I have tried the YMCA camps in the past but people send their kids even when they are sick because they are basically using it for child care and then I get sick kids too. I was using them to keep them active and engaged. Anyhow, that has stopped due to $$ and a lack fo membership and a frustration with the whole sick thing.

I could not keep the pace of the holidays up all the time. It would wear me out and I wouldn't get many of my other things done. BUT that is why I don't 'work' outside the house. So I can know my kids and do the stuff with them.

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!