Review - Diamond Dog (BYOVB-Varscona)

On Thursday after my manicure and pedicure I managed to get to the Fringe site early enough to catch the early show of Diamond Dog at the Varscona. The Varscona had three shows that started prior to 8 pm so they did not appear in the program - I think that may have contributed to the fact that there were only about 10 people in the audience. I enjoyed the show. It was definitely tight and well performed. I particularly liked the actor who played Pug and Belinda Cornish as Mare. In fact, I preferred Belinda as Uncle Terry as opposed to Ken Brown (she shared his monologue with the audience at Wunderbar on Monday night). There were a few technical glitches (sound too loud so you couldn't hear the dialogue, an incorrect subtitle on a screen) but most were cleared up after the first third of the show. I found Linda Grass very stiff as Alberta. I am not sure if that was a choice but it didn't work for me. I liked the dynamic of the 4 main stooges. They were obviously a very accomplished and experienced cast. I wonder how well the show will do as many might have seen it during the regular season. Perhaps those who couldn't afford it will find the Fringe price more to their liking. In any case, if you like British heist movies like Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, this will be a cool show for you to go to. *** 1/2 (**** if the technical issues are cleared up as I assume they will be!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!